Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Bob Hardy: Korea in 1955-56

Howdy: Referred to me by brother Doug Hardy, PU '52. I am Bob Hardy PU '54 (bio in "LIVES" of class of '54). I was in Korea 1955 to Fall 1956. Served with 13th FA Bn, 24th Inf. Div. Munsan Ri, Korea just south of the Imjin River Bridge. Was Ass't S-3 and spent a lot of time along the DMZ refining arty. battle charts. Have some interesting memories and would love to get back and see the changes over 50 years. So was not there for induction of Syngman Rhee, sorry. I am connected to Col, Gordon Cucullu who wrote the definitive book "Separated at Birth - the Evil Twin" about how the Koreas got the way they are. I can relate one little incident that was very curious. I had a very small savings account with the Bank of Korea in Seoul. One month enclosed with my statement was the statement of the Sino-Soviet Association. There was some $85,000 in that account. Suspecting some skulduggery, I called CID and a nice gentleman in a uniform without insignia came and said this is interesting, we can use it. I guess some loyal Korean was trying to get some information out. All the best, bob hardy bhardy@gmavt.net