Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Halsey Rogers: Korea in 1986-87

Dear George,Greetings. My dad (Steve Rogers '52) forwarded your message to me, and said that Sam Gelfman was interested not only in the 50s but also in Princetonians with more recent connections to Korea. I worked at the Korea Development Institute in 1986-87, in a position I got through Princeton-in-Asia. Although I've been back to Korea only twice since then, I've kept strong connections with Korea, both because I married a Korean-born grad-school classmate after returning to the States and because I did my doctoral dissertation on a Korean topic. I'd be happy to provide information to correspond with Sam about my Korea connections. My time in Korea may be of some historical interest, because it coincided with the pro-democracy demonstrations and the decision by Chun Doo-whan and Ro Tae-woo to open the political system. Sehe bok mani paduseo! [Happy New Year] Halsey
[F. Halsey Rogers hrogers@worldbank.org ]